The Other Me

HSK 4 · A scientist studying a 'research subject' realizes the woman in the file is a copy of herself — raised in a different city, twenty years ago.
我叫李雪,是一个科学家。
I called Li Xue, am one (M) science person.
My name is Li Xue. I'm a scientist.
我在大学里做研究。
I at university inside do research.
I do research at a university.
我们研究一种新办法:让人再生长一次。
We research one (M) new method: let person again grow one time.
We study a new method: growing a person from a single piece of someone.
公司给了我一个新任务。
Company give (PERF) me one (M) new task.
The company gave me a new assignment.
他们给我一个女孩子的信息。
They give me one (M) female-child (POSS) information.
They handed me a file about a young woman.
她也叫李雪。
She also called Li Xue.
Her name was also Li Xue.
她和我同一年,同一月生。
She and me same one year, same one month born.
She was born the same year, the same month as me.
她长得和我一样。
She grow (DEG) and me same.
She looked exactly like me.
开始我以为这是一个玩笑。
Start I thought this is one (M) joke.
At first I thought it was a joke.
但信息上写的事都是真的。
But information top write (POSS) thing all is real (POSS).
But everything in the file was real.
她从小就在另一个城市长大。
She from small then at another (M) city grow-big.
She grew up in a different city from when she was small.
她的爸爸妈妈不是我的爸爸妈妈。
Her (POSS) dad mom not is my (POSS) dad mom.
Her parents weren't my parents.
但她的身体里有我的东西。
But her (POSS) body inside have my (POSS) thing.
But her body had pieces of mine inside it.
二十年前,公司用我的一根头发,做了一个新人。
Twenty year before, company use my (POSS) one (M) hair, make (PERF) one (M) new person.
Twenty years ago, the company used one of my hairs to make a new person.
他们把这个新人送给了别的爸爸妈妈。
They (BA) this (M) new person give-to (PERF) other (POSS) dad mom.
They gave that new baby to another set of parents.
那两个人不知道她从哪儿来。
Those two (M) people not know she from where come.
Those two never knew where she came from.
公司想看:长大以后,我们会一样吗?
Company want look: grow-big after, we will same (Q)?
The company wanted to see whether we'd turn out alike.
我看了几天的信息,决定去见她。
I look (PERF) several day (POSS) information, decide go see her.
I read the file for days, then decided to go see her.
她住在一个很远的小城市。
She live at one (M) very far (POSS) small city.
She lived in a small city far away.
我们在一家咖啡馆见面。
We at one (M) coffee-shop meet-face.
We met in a cafe.
她进来的时候,我心里一下子很难过。
She come-in (POSS) time, my heart inside one-down very sad.
When she walked in, something in my chest hurt all at once.
我们真的长得完全一样。
We really grow (DEG) completely same.
We really did look completely the same.
我说:“你好。”
I say: "You good."
I said, “Hello.”
她说:“你好。我等你很久了。”
She says: "You good. I wait you very long (PERF)."
She said, “Hello. I've been waiting for you for a long time.”
她比我安静一些。
She compared-to me quiet a-little.
She was a little quieter than me.
她说她小时候常常觉得自己不一样。
She says she small-time-back often feel self not same.
She said as a child she had often felt different.
她爱画画,可是我从来不会画。
She love draw drawing, but I from-come not can draw.
She loved drawing — but I had never been able to draw.
她说:“我以为我有什么问题。现在我明白了。”
She says: "I thought I have what problem. Now I understand (PERF)."
She said, “I thought something was wrong with me. Now I understand.”
我们聊了一下午。
We chat (PERF) one afternoon.
We talked the whole afternoon.
聊画画,聊家,聊以前。
Chat drawing, chat home, chat before.
About drawing, about home, about the past.
后来我没有告诉公司她说了什么。
Later I not-have tell company she say (PERF) what.
Afterwards I didn't tell the company what she said.
我只说:我们是两个人,不是同一个人。
I only say: we are two (M) people, not is same one (M) person.
I only said: we are two people, not one.