HSK 3 · Xiaohua starts to suspect her quiet older brother might not be exactly what he seems.
我哥哥太特别了。
My older-brother too special (PERF).
My older brother is too unusual.
他不吃饭,也不喝水。
He not eat-meal, also not drink water.
He doesn’t eat or drink.
他每天早上六点正在桌子前看书。
He every day morning six o'clock exactly-at desk front read book.
Every morning at six sharp he’s already at the desk, reading.
他从来不生病,也不感冒。
He never not sick, also not catch-cold.
He never gets sick or catches a cold.
我开始觉得他不是我哥哥。
I begin feel he not is my older-brother.
I started to think he wasn’t my brother.
我决定注意看。
I decide pay-attention look.
I decided to watch closely.
一天晚上,我看见他在自己的房间里。
One day evening, I see him at own (POSS) room inside.
One evening, I saw him in his room.
他在桌子上放了一只手。
He at desk top place (PERF) one (M) hand.
He set one of his hands on the desk.
他打开了手——里面是灯!
He open (PERF) hand — inside is light!
He opened his hand — and inside there were tiny lights!
我害怕地走开。
I scared (ADV) walk-away.
I backed away in fear.
第二天早上,我告诉妈妈。
Second day morning, I tell mom.
The next morning I told mom.
妈妈笑了:“是的,他是。”
Mom laugh (PERF): "Yes, he is."
Mom laughed, “Yes, he is.”
“你的真哥哥在国外。我们这儿的是新的。”
"Your real older-brother at country-outside. We here (POSS) is new (POSS)."
“Your real brother is abroad. This one’s the new model.”
我看着她,不知道说什么。
I look (CONT) her, not know say what.
I stared at her, lost for words.
妈妈说:“他对你不好吗?”
Mom says: "He toward you not good (Q)?"
Mom said, “Has he been mean to you?”
我想了想:“他帮我做作业,他听我说话,他从来不生气。”
I think (PERF) think: "He help me do homework, he listen me say words, he never not angry."
I thought about it. “He helps me with homework. He listens. He never gets upset.”
妈妈点头:“所以这是好的。”
Mom nod-head: "So this is good (POSS)."
Mom nodded, “Then it’s a good thing.”
现在我还是叫他哥哥。
Now I still call him older-brother.
I still call him my brother.
他也叫我妹妹。
He also call me younger-sister.
He still calls me little sister.