HSK 4 · A child swears the village cat understands every word — and one night the cat finally speaks.
我们家附近有一只很老的猫。
Our home nearby have one (M) very old (POSS) cat.
There's a very old cat that lives near our home.
他每天在街上走来走去,好像这条街都是他的。
He every day at street on walk-come walk-go, seem this (M) street all is his (POSS).
He walks up and down the street every day as if it all belonged to him.
我儿子才五岁,可是他一直说:“这只猫听得懂我们说话。”
My son only five year, but he continuously say: "This (M) cat hear-able-understand our speak."
My son is only five, but he keeps saying, “That cat understands every word we say.”
我笑着说:“猫怎么会听懂呢?”
I smile (CONT) say: "Cat how can hear-understand (Q)?"
I would laugh and say, “How could a cat understand?”
可是有一天晚上,事情突然变了。
But have one day evening, matter suddenly change (PERF).
But one night, everything suddenly changed.
那只猫走进我们家,跳到桌子上,看着我。
That (M) cat walk-into our home, jump-to table on, look (CONT) me.
The old cat walked into our house, jumped onto the table, and looked at me.
然后他说:“你别害怕,我有事告诉你。”
Then he say: "You don't fear, I have matter tell you."
Then he said, “Don't be afraid. I have something to tell you.”
我站着不能动,几乎不相信自己的耳朵。
I stand (CONT) not able move, almost not believe own (POSS) ear.
I stood frozen, hardly believing my ears.
猫慢慢地说:“我以前不是猫。”
Cat slowly (ADV) say: "I before not be cat."
The cat said slowly, “I wasn't always a cat.”
“很久以前,我是这个国家最重要的人。”
"Very long before, I be this (M) country most important (POSS) person."
“Long, long ago, I was the most important man in this country.”
“可是我做了很多错事,让别人很难过。”
"But I do (PERF) very many wrong matter, make other-person very sad."
“But I did many bad things and caused much pain.”
“有一位老人会用特别的方法,他给了我几次猫的生活。”
"Have one (M) old-person able use special (POSS) method, he give (PERF) me several time cat (POSS) life."
“An old man with strange powers gave me several lives as a cat to make up for it.”
“每一次,我都跟着同一家人。那就是你们家。”
"Every one time, I all follow (CONT) same one family. That just is your family."
“Each life, I have followed one family — your family.”
我吃了一惊。我说:“你跟着我们多久了?”
I eat (PERF) one shock. I say: "You follow (CONT) us how-long (PERF)?"
I was stunned. I asked, “How long have you been with us?”
猫说:“你爷爷的爷爷小时候,我就在他家门口。”
Cat say: "Your grandfather (POSS) grandfather small-time, I just at his home door."
He said, “I was at your great-great-grandfather's door when he was a boy.”
“你们家每一个人,我都看着他们长大,看着他们老。”
"Your family every one (M) person, I all watch (CONT) them grow-big, watch (CONT) them old."
“I have watched every one of you grow up and grow old.”
“有几次你们家有大问题,我帮过你们,可是你们没注意。”
"Have several time your family have big problem, I help (EXP) you, but you not notice."
“A few times your family was in trouble and I helped — though none of you noticed.”
我问:“为什么今天告诉我?”
I ask: "Why today tell me?"
I asked, “Why are you telling me today?”
猫看了看外面的星星,轻轻地说:“这是我最后一次做猫了。”
Cat look (PERF) look outside (POSS) star, softly (ADV) say: "This is my last one time be cat (PERF)."
The cat looked at the stars outside and said softly, “This is my last life as a cat.”
“我已经做得够久了。我想休息了。”
"I already do (DEG) enough long (PERF). I want rest (PERF)."
“I've been doing this long enough. I want to rest.”
我心里很难过,可是我说不出话。
I heart inside very sad, but I say-not-out word.
My heart hurt, but I couldn't speak.
猫又说:“你儿子是个好孩子。他知道我是谁。”
Cat again say: "Your son is (M) good child. He know I am who."
He said, “Your son is a good child. He knows who I am.”
“以后请你照顾他,就像我照顾过你们一样。”
"After please you take-care him, just like I take-care (EXP) you same."
“Please take care of him, the way I have taken care of you all.”
第二天早上,我在院子里找到了那只猫。
Second day morning, I at courtyard inside find (PERF) that (M) cat.
The next morning, I found the cat in the courtyard.
他在太阳下睡着了,再也没醒过来。
He at sun under sleep-asleep (PERF), again not wake (EXP) come.
He had fallen asleep in the sun and never woke again.
我儿子站在旁边,没有哭。
My son stand at side, not have cry.
My son stood beside me without crying.
他只是说:“他终于可以休息了。”
He only is say: "He finally able rest (PERF)."
He only said, “He can finally rest now.”