The Letter from 2089

HSK 5 · A college freshman receives a paper letter from herself, dated sixty-five years in the future. Twenty years later, she writes it back.
那年我十九岁,刚到大学一个月。
That year I nineteen years-old, just arrive university one (M) month.
I was nineteen, only a month into university.
有一天我在宿舍楼下的邮箱里发现一封信。
Have one day I at dorm building down (POSS) mailbox inside discover one (M) letter.
One day I found a letter in the mailbox under my dorm.
不是电子邮件,是手写的纸信。
Not is electronic mail, is hand-write (POSS) paper letter.
Not an email — a handwritten paper letter.
信封上写着我的名字,地址也对。
Envelope top write (CONT) my (POSS) name, address also correct.
The envelope had my name on it. The address was right too.
我打开信,看到里面也是我的字。
I open letter, see inside also is my (POSS) handwriting.
I opened it. The handwriting inside was mine.
下面的日期是:二〇八九年三月二日。
Below (POSS) date is: 2089 year March two day.
The date below it said: March 2, 2089.
六十五年以后。
Sixty-five year after.
Sixty-five years from now.
我把信拿到宿舍,关上门,慢慢看。
I (BA) letter take-to dorm, close door, slowly read.
I took the letter to my room, shut the door, and read it slowly.
信里说:我是你。
Letter inside say: I am you.
The letter said: I am you.
我现在很老了,想告诉你几件事。
I now very old (PERF), want tell you several (M) thing.
I'm very old now, and I want to tell you a few things.
不是大事,都是小事。
Not is big thing, all is small thing.
Nothing big. Just small things.
请你多打电话给妈妈。
Please you more hit-phone to mom.
Please call your mother more often.
她不会永远在那儿。
She not will forever at there.
She won't be there forever.
请你今年学游泳。
Please you this year learn swimming.
Please learn to swim this year.
不学的话,以后越来越难。
Not learn (POSS) words, after more-come-more difficult.
If you don't, it only gets harder later.
请你不要怕和别人说“不”。
Please you not want afraid and other-person say "no".
Please stop being afraid to say no to people.
我们一辈子都在说“是”。
We one-lifetime all (PROG) say "yes".
We spend our whole life saying yes.
请你写日记。
Please you write diary.
Please keep a diary.
没写下来的回忆,一点点都会不见。
Not-have write-down (POSS) memory, one-bit-one-bit all will not-see.
The memories you don't write down disappear, piece by piece.
请你六月去见那个叫小华的男孩一次。
Please you June go see that (M) called Xiao Hua (POSS) boy one time.
Please, in June, go see that boy named Xiao Hua, just once.
你会知道为什么。
You will know why.
You'll understand why.
信的最后写着:我爱你。
Letter (POSS) most-last write (CONT): I love you.
At the bottom it said: I love you.
我笑了,然后我哭了。
I laugh (PERF), then I cry (PERF).
I laughed. Then I cried.
然后我把信放进抽屉,没再看。
Then I (BA) letter put-into drawer, not-have again look.
Then I put the letter in a drawer and didn't look at it again.
我想,一定是有人和我开玩笑。
I think, certainly is have-person and me joke.
I told myself someone must be playing a joke.
我没有学游泳。
I not-have learn swimming.
I didn't learn to swim.
我也没有去见小华。
I also not-have go see Xiao Hua.
I didn't go see Xiao Hua either.
后来我开始工作,越来越忙,给妈妈打电话也少了。
Later I begin work, more-come-more busy, give mom hit-phone also few (PERF).
I started working, got busier and busier, and called my mother less.
日子一年一年很快过去了。
Day one year one year very fast pass-go (PERF).
The years passed quickly.
二十年后,我搬家。
Twenty year after, I move-home.
Twenty years later, I moved.
整理东西的时候,我又看到了那封信。
Tidy thing (POSS) time, I again see (PERF) that (M) letter.
While packing, I found the letter again.
我坐在地上,又读了一遍。
I sit at ground top, again read (PERF) one (M).
I sat on the floor and read it again.
心里又难过又奇怪。
Heart inside both sad and strange.
I felt sad and unsettled.
信上的小事,几乎每一件都成了真。
Letter top (POSS) small thing, almost every one (M) all become (PERF) true.
The small things in the letter had almost all come true.
妈妈走了。
Mom leave (PERF).
My mother had passed away.
我的回忆开始变得模模糊糊。
My (POSS) memory begin change (DEG) blurry-blurry.
My memories were getting blurry.
那次没去见的男孩,后来成了别人的丈夫。
That time not-have go see (POSS) boy, later become (PERF) other-person (POSS) husband.
The boy I never went to see had become someone else's husband.
我看着年轻时候自己的字,心里很安静。
I look (CONT) young time self (POSS) handwriting, heart inside very quiet.
I looked at my own young handwriting and felt very still inside.
那天晚上,我拿出一张白纸。
That day evening, I take-out one (M) white paper.
That night I took out a clean sheet of paper.
我把那封信的话,一字一字写下来。
I (BA) that (M) letter (POSS) words, one character one character write-down.
Word by word, I copied the letter out.
我加上日期:二〇八九年三月二日。
I add date: 2089 year March two day.
I wrote the date at the bottom: March 2, 2089.
然后我把它寄给了那个十九岁的自己。
Then I (BA) it mail-to (PERF) that (M) nineteen years-old (POSS) self.
Then I mailed it to my nineteen-year-old self.
我不知道她会不会收到。
I not know she will not will receive.
I don't know if she'll receive it.
也不知道她信不信。
Also not know she believe not believe.
I don't know if she'll believe it.