The Boy Who Could Talk to Wind

HSK 4 · A quiet boy can hear the wind speak — until he grows up, and then his own daughter starts hearing it too.
我小时候住在一个小地方,旁边都是山和大河。
I small-time live at one (M) small place, side all is mountain and big river.
When I was small, I lived in a quiet place surrounded by mountains and a wide river.
别的孩子喜欢说话,喜欢玩,可是我喜欢一个人听风。
Other (POSS) child like speak, like play, but I like one person listen wind.
Other kids liked to talk and play, but I liked to sit alone and listen to the wind.
因为只有我能听见风说话。
Because only have I able hear wind speak.
Because I was the only one who could hear the wind speak.
风告诉我远方的事。
Wind tell me far-place (POSS) matter.
The wind told me about far-off things.
它会说:“明天会下大雨。”
It will say: "Tomorrow will fall big rain."
It would say, “Tomorrow there will be heavy rain.”
或者:“一个不认识的人正在向这里走来。”
Or: "One (M) not know (POSS) person (CONT) toward here walk-come."
Or, “A man no one knows is on his way here.”
我告诉爸爸妈妈,可是他们只是笑。
I tell dad mom, but they only is smile.
I told my parents, but they only smiled.
妈妈说:“你又在做梦了。”
Mom say: "You again (CONT) make dream (PERF)."
Mom said, “You're daydreaming again.”
邻居们也不信我。他们叫我“风的孩子”,但他们觉得这只是好玩。
Neighbor (PL) also not believe me. They call me "wind (POSS) child", but they feel this only is fun.
The neighbors didn't believe me either. They called me “the wind's child,” but only as a joke.
那年夏天,风对我说了一件特别重要的事。
That year summer, wind toward me say (PERF) one (M) special important (POSS) matter.
That summer, the wind told me something very important.
“大水快来了,”风说,“三天以后。”
"Big water quick come (PERF)," wind say, "three day after."
“A great flood is coming,” the wind said. “Three days from now.”
我跑回家,告诉爸爸。
I run back-home, tell dad.
I ran home and told my father.
爸爸一开始不信,可是他看了我的脸,最后还是去告诉了大家。
Dad one-begin not believe, but he look (PERF) my face, last still go tell (PERF) everyone.
He didn't believe me at first, but seeing my face, he finally went to tell everyone.
有人听,有人不听。
Have person listen, have person not listen.
Some listened, some didn't.
三天以后,雨下了一晚上,大水来了。
Three day after, rain fall (PERF) one evening, big water come (PERF).
Three days later, it rained all night, and the flood came.
听了爸爸话的人都没事。
Listen (PERF) dad word (POSS) person all not matter.
Those who had listened to my father were all safe.
从那以后,大家都开始相信我了。
From that after, everyone all begin believe me (PERF).
From then on, everyone started to believe me.
可是有一件事我没告诉别人。
But have one (M) matter I not tell other-person.
But there was one thing I didn't tell anyone.
我越长大,风的声音越小。
I more grow-big, wind (POSS) sound more small.
The older I grew, the quieter the wind's voice became.
二十岁的时候,我几乎听不见它了。
Twenty year (POSS) time, I almost hear-not-see it (PERF).
By twenty, I could barely hear it.
三十岁的时候,风就只是风了。
Thirty year (POSS) time, wind just only is wind (PERF).
By thirty, the wind was just wind.
后来我有了一个女儿。她很安静,很爱听外面的风。
Later I have (PERF) one (M) daughter. She very quiet, very love listen outside (POSS) wind.
Later, I had a daughter. She was quiet, and she loved listening to the wind outside.
她五岁的一个晚上,跑到我旁边,问我一个问题。
She five year (POSS) one (M) evening, run-to my side, ask me one (M) question.
When she was five, she came running to me one night with a question.
“爸爸,”她说,“为什么风一直跟我说话?”
"Dad," she say, "why wind continuously with me speak?"
“Dad,” she said, “why does the wind keep talking to me?”
我看着她,心里很多感觉一下子来了。
I look (CONT) her, heart inside very many feeling all-at-once come (PERF).
I looked at her, and many feelings rushed through me at once.
我笑了,把她抱起来。
I smile (PERF), (BA) her embrace-up.
I smiled and lifted her up.
我说:“你坐下,慢慢地听。”
I say: "You sit-down, slowly (ADV) listen."
I said, “Sit down. Listen slowly.”
“爸爸以前也听得见。爸爸都明白。”
"Dad before also hear-able-see. Dad all understand."
“I used to hear it too. I understand.”