The Mirror That Aged

HSK 5 · A woman buys an antique mirror that shows her ten years older — and then twenty, and thirty, and finally the quiet day she leaves the world.
我家附近有一家旧东西店。
My home near have one (M) old-thing store.
There was a little antique shop near my home.
店里又乱又旧,可是我常常去看。
Store inside both messy and old, but I often go look.
It was messy and dusty, but I loved going in.
有一天,我在店的最里面看到一面镜子。
Have one day, I at store (POSS) most inside see one (M) mirror.
One day, at the back of the shop, I saw a mirror.
镜子很大,边上是深色的木头。
Mirror very big, side top is deep-color (POSS) wood.
It was large, with dark wood along the edges.
我站在它前面,想整理一下头发。
I stand at it front, want tidy one (M) hair.
I stood in front of it to fix my hair.
可是镜子里的我,老了十年。
But mirror inside (POSS) me, old (PERF) ten year.
But the me in the mirror was ten years older.
脸上多了几条深深的线。
Face top more (PERF) several (M) deep-deep (POSS) line.
There were several deep lines on her face.
头发里也有了一些白色。
Hair inside also have (PERF) some white-color.
Her hair had a little white in it.
我吓了一跳,往后退了一步。
I startle (PERF) one jump, toward back step (PERF) one step.
I jumped, stepping back.
镜子里的人也跟着我退。
Mirror inside (POSS) person also follow me step.
The woman in the mirror moved with me.
我问店里的老人这是怎么回事。
I ask store inside (POSS) old-person this is what return-matter.
I asked the old shopkeeper what this was.
他说:这面镜子有点儿特别。
He say: this (M) mirror have-bit special.
He said, “This mirror is a little special.”
它让你看到十年以后的自己。
It let you see ten year after (POSS) self.
“It lets you see yourself ten years from now.”
我笑了一下,没说什么。
I laugh (PERF) one (M), not-have say what.
I smiled, but I didn't believe him.
可是回家以后,我一直想那面镜子。
But return-home after, I straight think that (M) mirror.
But after I got home, I couldn't stop thinking about it.
一个星期后,我去把它买了回来。
One (M) week after, I go (BA) it buy (PERF) return-come.
A week later I went and bought it.
我把镜子放在卧室的墙边。
I (BA) mirror place at bedroom (POSS) wall side.
I put the mirror against my bedroom wall.
那天晚上,我又一次站到它前面。
That day evening, I again one time stand-to it front.
That night I stood in front of it again.
镜中是一个三十多岁的女人。
Mirror in is one (M) thirty more years (POSS) woman.
A woman in her thirties looked back at me.
她有点儿累,可是眼睛还是温柔的。
She have-bit tired, but eye still gentle (POSS).
She looked tired, but her eyes were still gentle.
半年过去了。
Half year pass-go (PERF).
Half a year passed.
镜中的我已经四十多岁了。
Mirror in (POSS) me already forty more years (PERF).
Now the me in the mirror was in her forties.
她的头发短了,脸上多了几条笑出来的线。
Her (POSS) hair short (PERF), face top more (PERF) several (M) laugh-out-come (POSS) line.
Her hair was shorter, and there were laugh lines around her mouth.
我感觉她过得不算坏。
I feel she live (DEG) not count bad.
I felt that her life had not been bad.
一年后,镜中的女人五十多。
One year after, mirror in (POSS) woman fifty more.
A year later, the woman in the mirror was in her fifties.
她坐在我现在的客厅里,安静地喝着茶。
She sit at my now (POSS) living-room inside, quietly (ADV) drink (CONT) tea.
She sat in my own living room, quietly drinking tea.
客厅里的家具一点儿都没变。
Living-room inside (POSS) furniture one bit all not-have change.
The furniture hadn't changed at all.
两年后,我看到她六十多。
Two year after, I see she sixty more.
Two years later, I saw her in her sixties.
她在床上,眼睛闭着。
She at bed top, eye close (CONT).
She was on the bed, her eyes closed.
她的样子非常平静,像睡着了一样。
Her (POSS) appearance very calm, like sleep-arrive (PERF) one same.
She looked completely peaceful, as if asleep.
我明白了:那是我离开这个世界的那一天。
I understand (PERF): that is I leave this (M) world (POSS) that one day.
I understood: that was the day I would leave the world.
就在这个房间里。
Just at this (M) room inside.
Right in this room.
我没有告诉任何人。
I not-have tell any person.
I didn't tell anyone.
从那以后,我开始好好过每一天。
From that after, I begin good-good live every one day.
After that, I started living each day fully.
我多和家人坐在一起,听他们说话。
I more and family-people sit at together, listen them speak.
I sat with my family more, just listening to them.
我把以前不敢做的事一件一件做完。
I (BA) before not-dare do (POSS) thing one (M) one (M) do-finish.
I finished, one by one, the things I had always been afraid to do.
预计的那天到的前一晚,镜子忽然破了。
Predict (POSS) that day arrive (POSS) before one night, mirror suddenly break (PERF).
The night before the predicted day, the mirror suddenly broke.
玻璃从中间分开,慢慢掉在地上。
Glass from middle separate, slowly fall at ground top.
The glass split down the middle and slowly fell to the floor.
我没有难过,反而觉得自由。
I not-have sad, instead feel free.
I wasn't sad — I felt free.
第二天早上,我活着醒来了。
Second day morning, I live (CONT) wake-come (PERF).
The next morning, I woke up alive.
然后又活了很多年。
Then again live (PERF) very many year.
And I went on living for many more years.